Friday, June 10, 2011

Making food fun

Today was the last day of preschool for my oldest.  My husband is French & we found an amazing french immersion preschool in Lafayette, CA called French For Fun.  There are so many positive reasons for young children learning a second language early ... but that is not what this blog entry is about!  It is about FOOD.  Part of the last day festivities was a picnic at the park.  All parents were asked to bring some food for a snack / lunch.  I got the idea for "sandwich sushi" from my best friend in kindergarten, who thanks to facebook I am still friends with.  She is a very creative person & inspires me with many of her posts.  Her "sushi" was much more creative I think ... even using Swedish fish.  I did my own "preschool" versions.  Peanut butter and jelly and cucumber and butter on wonder white bread.  Now, the picture above was all that I got from one whole loaf of bread, so if you decide to do this buy a lot of bread!
Peanut Butter and Jelly "sushi"

On a side note .. just had to break away from this blog to put the oldest in time out, which turned into me being spit at so I had to take her to the toilet to spit 5 times, since she likes spitting so much, and back to the corner to start her time out ...

Sandwich Sushi
1 loaf of wonder white bread
fillings of your liking, but spread VERY thin

Cut the crusts off of the bread
Take two pieces and overlap the ends by about 1/4 inch
Roll with a rolling pin so they are "flat" 
spread filling over bread, leaving the last inch of long end of the rectangle bare
roll from the other long end
add a little butter, or something "wet" to the dry end, if needed so the bread will stick
cut into desired widths with a serrated knife so it doesn't squish.
Butter & Cucumber "sushi"




No comments:

Post a Comment