Saturday, September 24, 2011

Big steps at Small Batch

Starting a small business means baby steps.  Some are easier then others.  Some are lest costly than others.  Today, I made a baby step that will hopefully mean a new, big, and exciting chapter in the history of Small Batch Studio!

When I first started my business I wanted to have a website built.  I know nothing about HTML.  (Those are the initials, right?)  I contacted a web designer I knew (another small business) and got a $2000 quote.  Well, starting out every penny of this self financed business counts.  $2000 was not in the budget.

Yesterday I was chatting with a friend who is starting her own business Chiefo's Kitchen .  She told me about a great solution to getting a website done and saving money!  Her website was built by a student at the Academy of Art.  Students need projects for their classes.  She said it there is a longer turn around time, but it is done for little or no compensation on the business owner's end.  So, I put up a job posting at their website this morning!  I am so excited to see where this leads.  

Questions for other small business people:  Who did your website?  (I have heard it is "really easy").  Have you used students?  What was your experience?   Would you do it again?  If there was one piece of advise you could offer regarding websites, what would it be?

My goal is to have an active website up and running by December 1st.  

3 comments:

  1. I did my own website, using yahoo small business. It was totally affordable and came with emails at the @xxx.com for a negligible extra fee. I know nothing about HTML, but was able to do it easily. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I would send you the link, but I took it down since I'm no longer freelancing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa! I signed up w/ wordpress & am totally confused. sigh. Just discovered more options w/ blogspot though!

    ReplyDelete