Sunday, August 14, 2011

Networking!

The other day I was talking to another mom about her business decisions.  She started telling me about people she had connected with through different moms groups.  This conversation started me thinking.

I never joined a moms group.  In San Francisco, I almost did but for some reason, didn't.  Then I moved out to the East Bay.  I really didn't think moms groups existed.  (Quite a silly thought I guess.)  I have my friends and enjoy spending time with them ... so why even join a moms group?  Then the other day I was talking to a friend who mentioned that she lives in an area "way out there" and is looking for friends.

I googled moms groups & her city and came across a whole list of groups.  It was through Meet Up.  Now, maybe I am just a little behind in things, but this site is amazing!  You can find people with all kinds of interests, backgrounds, and challenges looking for like minded people to meet.  Your kid likes trains?  There is probably a group that fits that.  Have you started a small business (like me!) and are looking for networking opportunities?  (like me!)  There is a group!  I found a local group and then found a larger group Networking for Moms.  There is even an event scheduled this week.

Needless to say, I am quite excited.  Meeting new people outside of my circle is really fun and interesting.  You never know what kind of people you are going to meet, or the opportunities that will materialize.  I'll let you know how it goes!


1 comment:

  1. I joined a mommy group out here in Vacaville after I had Elizabeth. LOTS of military moms (Travis Air Force base) in the group who seemed to really need this group. Most of the ladies were super nice. A few were "click"ish- as to be expected in any group situation. We would meet at various parks in the area, the library for storytime, etc. They were very well organized with group rules and everything. It was a good experience and I am glad I was a part of it, although briefly. I would do it again.
    Have fun!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete