Sunday, July 24, 2011

The "really, it's not good" dinner

Yesterday was a fun day full of play for the girls and I.  By 7:00 am I knew none of us would survive if we spent the day at home.  My husband had an extremely busy work week and the girls had only seen him about 30 minutes total in 6 days.  For those of you who don't know ... this means overly crazy kids & one tired, emotionally drained momma.

I decided we would head out to Habitot in Berkeley.  I can't say enough about how great it is.  The first time we went, I made a movie ... you can see for yourself the fun we had ...

Anyway, I discovered a secret.  When the weather is great & it is a Saturday ... Habitot is not too crowded!  We ended up spending four hours there all of which the girls had a wonderful, creative, and fun time.

By the time it got to dinner, I realized I hadn't planned anything.  I scanned the cupboards, fridge and freezer and came up with a dish that I thought would do.  Brown rice with cream of mushroom soup & broccoli.  Vivienne helped me make it, and even dished up the plates and put them on the table.

We all sat down for dinner.  Coco took one look at her plate, and pushed it away saying "Yuck!  Oh, well."  (She is a picky eater and if she pushes her plate away I say, "Oh well, I guess you're not eating tonight.")  Vivienne tried to convince her it was good telling her there was broccoli in it, and just the fact it was good.  Then, Vivienne took a bite.  She looked at me and said, "Actually mommy, it really isn't good at all."  I tried to feed Audrey and she spit it out.

I sat there for a moment, and took a bite.  I didn't think it was BAD ... it wasn't good but it was edible!  Just then my phone rang.  It was my dad asking if we wanted to go out to dinner with him, my mom & grandmother.  I asked the girls what they thought and they cheered!!  YAY!!!  We're going to a restaurant!!

Plans were confirmed, and I hung up the phone.  Just then I heard Vivienne say, "Coco, let's pray."  She grabbed Coco's hands and said, "Dear God, thank you that we are going to a restaurant with Grandpa."

I had to laugh.

1 comment:

  1. O M G so cute! Sometimes, we have a big goose egg of a meal. Mad was in 4H cooking, and they did an enchilada casserole. The leader & her husband are friends of ours, so we use the opportunity to have dinner together. This was SO bad that NEITHER of the husbands, who we call "garbage guts" would even eat it! LOL! Turns out it was stale chips in the dish. She was HORRIFIED, but it was a good lesson for the kids: not everything will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete