Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love this show ...

For those of you who don't know, the Magu house has been without cable TV for years. While living in San Francisco, I was able to stick a wire in the back of my TV & get a few channels, you know, ABC, NBC, PBS and one or two others. When the converter box came along, I got a few more. Then we moved to Concord. My little 5 cent piece of wire and converter box were of no use. Nothing. Paul & I (ok just me) were a little sad, but not sad enough to pony up the $75+ a month to watch TV. There was nothing we really cared to pay that much for.

So many of the "family" shows have the same characters - Family: Mom, bitch. Dad, idiot. Kids, know it all and disrespectful. "Funny" on TV, in my opinion, has seemed to become about who looks more incompetent. Then there are the reality shows. Some I loved and other I just watched because of the "are you kidding me?!?!" factor.

But, two years ago, I discovered a then new show on NBC, Parenthood. I discovered I could watch it on the computer the day after it aired (Tuesdays, 10pm). From the first episode I was hooked. If you haven't seen this show, let me just say you are missing out. It is the story of the Braverman family. Three generations all living in the same area (suppose to be Berkeley / Oakland) The acting is great & the writing is superb!! It is a family that LOVES and RESPECTS each other, though, like all families they don't always agree. There are even some real pearls of wisdom in the writing. So, if you haven't seen it yet, but are looking for an uplifting drama check out some of the past episodes & get caught up. You have until September for Season 3.

2 comments:

  1. We are hooked too! Daniel and I laugh (and I cry). GREAT show. I was sad that it was the season finale this week. Now I have to wait a long time for more. But both Daniel and I are very happy that they didn't leave it on a hug cliff hanger. Closure. Ahhhhh. Looking forward to next season. Highly recommend it.
    -Manda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever see the movie, Parenthood? Ron Howard film. I cry every time I see it, mulitple times. I forgot how much I loved it until I caught it on some random cable channel running old movies from the 80s/90s. You should check it out if you haven't seen it.
    Michelle Dibb

    ReplyDelete