Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My little secret (one of them!)

Back in my single days, a good friend got me the book The_Fabulous Girl's Guide to Grace Under Pressure  It is a fun book with hundreds of examples of "sticky" situations and how to remain calm.  Most of the topics have to do with the life of a single social woman.  I loved it.  It made me laugh and also helped me out a few times.

Little did I know while reading it all those years ago (like 8 or 9) that I would use one of the tips for my youngest daughter's first birthday party.

You see, if you read this blog you know I love to be crafty.  I love to cook.  In my mind I can pull of a dinner party that would impress even Martha Stewart.  Unfortunatly, I don't have a staff or the money to hire a staff.  Instead, I have three kids ages (now) 4, 2, and 1.  So, when it comes to pulling off the ultimate "Martha would be proud" 1st birthday ... somthings get put off.  For me, it was the birthday cake.  It wasn't until the day before the party that I decided what kind of cake I was going to make.  I decided on chocolate w/ cream cheese frosting.  Of course from scratch.  Growing up, a cake mix cake was NEVER served at a birthday party.

For some reason, I had in my head that a three layer, 8 inch cake, would feed 20 adults and 20 kids.  As I made the cake the morning of the party my husband made a comment, something like .. that's not enough cake.  I looked at the cake & it hit me.  I don't have enough BIRTHDAY CAKE.

So, referncing my book ... I drove to the best baker in town, bought a second cake.  It was carrott cake (my brother's favorite.).  I pulled off the funky hard carrots that decorated the top & re-frosted it with my cream cheese frosting, then threw on some sprinkles.  Voila!

The key is, according to my book is you just go on like nothing happened.  It was suppose to be this way.  For example, if you accidently, burn your main course: get the burn smell out while calling the local Chinese restaurant that delivers.  Your guests are dining on Chinese tonight!  They'll never know that wasn't the plan!
I think they they figued it out too ... but these girls know where their bread is buttered.  They didn't tell either!

No comments:

Post a Comment