Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A mom's car survival guide

Prior to having kids, I kept a pretty clean car.  Living in San Francisco, it was required not to have anything  in view - or your window would probably be smashed the next day.

Now, three kids later, my car is fully stocked with everything I could possibly need ... and more.   I realized how lucky I was to have all of these things, yet again the other day when my middle daughter got sick.  Yes, sick in the car while driving down a busy street.  Really sick.

So, I thought I'd give a list of all of the things I am now going to keep in my car & maybe you'll add some "must haves" too!

Non-perishable healthy snacks (special treat when they are a little crazy & hungry).
Water
Books & small activities.  Love the travel etch-a-shetch!
Diapers & wipes.  Wipes will be a staple now forever.
Change of clothes for all kids (including underwear!)
Change of clothes for mom (especially if you are nursing!)
First Aid kit, including travel packs of benadryl.

I have used all of these items.  They have all made their way into my car because I didn't have them & wish I had.  The first aid kit was one of those items.  Out playing & Vivienne fell, scraped her leg.  Not too badly but I realized I didn't have anything "just in case."  Also the benadryl was used by a friend who had a child having an allergic reaction & we were about 15 minutes from any store.

What things do you keep that you wouldn't leave home without?  What is my list missing?  Would love your comments!

2 comments:

  1. Those things are good whenever you have kids in your car. Adding something to the list though: a bin where you can toss used items in. It helps keep the car clean and orderly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a good thing that you have all these things in your car. These are really important, especially when you have your kids with you – anything can happen. We all know how kids are, especially when they get bored. You should also put on good music for them. It’s a good way to entertain your kids. Play their favorite songs or the soundtracks of their fave TV shows. They’ll love it for sure!

    ReplyDelete